Re: Aw: Re: the hell of Maemo repos

On Nov 21, 2008, at 5:59 PM, lakestevensdental wrote:

> Mark wrote:
>
>> I also have to point out that the maemo site is always incredibly
>> slow, which can't possibly help any of these situations. It doesn't
>> matter whether I'm on my home desktop, my N800 on WiFi, or a school
>> machine on a very fast network, it always takes forever for pages on
>> the maemo site to be served, and frequently it times out first. Even
>> when pages do load, frequently there are elements missing. If the
>> repositories are similarly affected, that could create havoc with
>> anyone trying to update them.
>
> Ditto on the observation of poor Maemo server speed.

The server improvements are still ongoing (which Bergie and that Niels
character you guys seem to hate so much have been putting an insane
amount of work into).[1] In fact, the first major fruits of those
efforts went live just on Monday.[2]

. . . and, no, the repositories are not similarly affected.
repository.maemo.org has a massive akamai cache that keeps it running
quickly.

[1]https://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Fast_Server
[2]http://bergie.iki.fi/blog/maemo-org_goes_ragnaroek/

--