Re: Diablo's Modest/Email

On 11 Sep 2008, at 16:24, Mark wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 5:35 AM, Matt Emson
> <memsom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Mark wrote:
>>>
>>> You are so incredibly wrong.
>>
>> About?
>
> Pretty much everything...

Well, no. You stated that only embedded and handhelds use ARM
processors. Obviously, this is incorrect. The A9Home and Iyonix are
still in production and use ARM processors. They are designed to be
desktop machines and are capable of running the types of software you
are getting in a flap about.

>> That the Archimedes uses ARM processors, um, no. Acorn designed the
>> original ARM processor. The A in ARM originally stood for "Acorn".
>> That my
>> A7000 is an embedded device in disguise? No, it's a full desktop
>> machine,
>> uses standard RAM, standard IDE hard drives, has a VGA connector
>> and PS/2
>> ports and such. It was sold as a desktop computer in the 1990's,
>> but the
>> RISCOS based machine running with ARM processors are still around.
>>

> "Still around", and "current" are two completely different concepts.

Dude, RISCOS was very big in this country. It's not my fault you live
somewhere other than here. The Iyonix is still used widely within the
RISCOS community and is niche, yes, but still in production. No where
did you state the machine had to be widely available world wide. You
blanket claimed they didn't exist - they DO. You lose. Back peddling
is not going to get you out of that hole.

> If I wanted to run an email server on my Handspring Visor or Psion
> Series 5, I could theoretically do it, but who cares? All of the ARM
> based desktop machines are pretty much past tense, and the current
> crop of RISC systems are as far from main-stream as you can get, and
> bear little relation to the well-known ARM systems, which as I said
> are primarily handhelds.

Archimedes is as well known in this country as Apple 2 was in the US.
Pretty much 90% of all schools and education establishments used Acorn
hardware in the 1980's and 1990's. You might not believe me, but in
the UK the Acorn line is extremely well known. I've never seen an
Apple 2, yet I don't claim they are irrelevant and didn't exist in any
useful capacity. Just because you don't know of the line does not mean
squat. Your loss, really.

> None of them have ever been available in your
> average computer store.

Yes, they were. Sorry to tell you. The A3010 and A3020 were
*specifically* designed to be sold in retail stores along side Amigas
and ST's and were.

> Anyone who uses any of them for a modern task
> is doing is solely for the challenge, not because it makes any kind of
> sense to do so.

Well, no. The original Iyonix was only put in to production in around
1999/2000 or something like that.

>>> Clearly, the ARM systems you're referring to are
>>> NOT general-purpose computing devices, but special-purpose imbedded
>>> devices.
>>
>> Hmmmm... the facts don't really support your assertion.
>>

> Yeah, and pigs can fly...

So, you deny they are general purpose computers? That was your
assertion... see above. Oh look, a flying pig, DOH!

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_Archimedes
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risc_PC
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_A7000
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC_OS
>> http://www.castle-technology.co.uk/castle/front.shtml
>>
>> But then, you don't seem to have done an awfully large amount of
>> research on
>> the matter.
>
> Historical research is irrelevant. IMAP didn't exist when most of
> those systems were made...

The links gave context. The links proved you are talking BS and
obviously have an extremely blinkered and one dimensional view of ARM
based systems. The Iyonix is still in production. The A9Home is still
around too. You lose.

As this is turning in to a bitching fest, all replies sent to /dev/
null as suggested by Mark earlier.