Re: Diablo's Modest/Email

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 5:35 AM, Matt Emson <memsom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>>
>> You are so incredibly wrong.
>
> About?

Pretty much everything...

> That the Archimedes uses ARM processors, um, no. Acorn designed the
> original ARM processor. The A in ARM originally stood for "Acorn". That my
> A7000 is an embedded device in disguise? No, it's a full desktop machine,
> uses standard RAM, standard IDE hard drives, has a VGA connector and PS/2
> ports and such. It was sold as a desktop computer in the 1990's, but the
> RISCOS based machine running with ARM processors are still around.

"Still around", and "current" are two completely different concepts.
If I wanted to run an email server on my Handspring Visor or Psion
Series 5, I could theoretically do it, but who cares? All of the ARM
based desktop machines are pretty much past tense, and the current
crop of RISC systems are as far from main-stream as you can get, and
bear little relation to the well-known ARM systems, which as I said
are primarily handhelds. None of them have ever been available in your
average computer store. Anyone who uses any of them for a modern task
is doing is solely for the challenge, not because it makes any kind of
sense to do so.

>> Clearly, the ARM systems you're referring to are
>> NOT general-purpose computing devices, but special-purpose imbedded
>> devices.
>
> Hmmmm... the facts don't really support your assertion.

Yeah, and pigs can fly...

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_Archimedes
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risc_PC
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_A7000
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC_OS
> http://www.castle-technology.co.uk/castle/front.shtml
>
> But then, you don't seem to have done an awfully large amount of research on
> the matter.

Historical research is irrelevant. IMAP didn't exist when most of
those systems were made...

Mark