Re: Postal address in Contacts?

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 14:55 -0600, Mark wrote:
> You are confusing "convenience" with "flexibility". Syncing can be a
> whole lot more *convenient*, once you have it properly set up (which
> can be a real bear), but it is in no way as flexible or powerful as
> import/export.

True. However, the flexibility that you value so much comes at the
expense of a lot more manual work each time you do an import/export. CSV
has the same problem: it's kind of okay when you manually define your
fields *and* teach your apps what you mean with these fields, but it is
unsuitable for automated data exchange without this upfront
configuration.

You remarked that SyncEvolution is too hard to use because there is no
GUI and one has to edit configuration files. Someone has written a GUI
("Genesis"; implemented in Python, so it might run on Maemo, although I
haven't tried that) and in 0.8 one can also change the config from the
command line. CSV on the other hand requires that you define your own
file format - is that really easier for non-technical people? I'd argue
that syncing is becoming easier to set up than import/export.

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly