Re: Lock, sleep, power-down

On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 02:13:03PM -0500, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 10:14:27PM -0500, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> >> I'm voting for software.  I see ke-recv occupying >50% of cpu and >25%
> >> of memory when "nothing is happening" (it's connected to local wifi, no
> >> web browser open) and hald-addon-<something> occupying >50% of memory.
> >
> > If I'm not mistaken, ke-recv is the thing that mounts SD cards.  It
> > shouldn't eat >50% CPU for any longer period of time.  Interesting.  I'd
> > check if the card were properly seated, and I'd check the filesystem on the
> > card (I believe it's possible to corrupt a FAT filesystem and end up
> > with recursive directory loops).
>
> Thanks, will do.  I think I'm going to reflash it (there's not that much
> to reconfigure), as well.  Though I suppose I should check the card
> format first, on the principle of perturbing as close to exactly one
> thing as possible between tests.

Good idea.  You could also try to pull the card(s) out and see if you
still get 50% CPU usage.

> What's the best way to check the card format?  Checkdisk on Windows
> through my card reader?

Yes, I believe that would be most convenient if you've got Windows
available.

> Or are the right tools there on the N800?

I'm not sure.  IIRC, the File Manager has some sort of repair option in
one of the menus, that probably invokes dosfsck behind the scenes.

(There's also the option of going hardcore and running dosfck as root
from a terminal, but its user interface is a bit silly.  Not
recommended.)

Marius Gedminas
--
Never attribute to malloc that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
        -- From the .sig of joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Joerg Pommnitz)