Re: Lock, sleep, power-down

Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 09:47:19AM -0500, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>
>> I'm apparently confused about the various states I can leave my N800 in.
>>
>> When I hit the power button and select "lock device", I get an unlock
>> dialog on the screen.  And it *stays* on the screen, overnight, in my bag,
>> wherever, until I unlock the device.  That's unexpected behavior; it uses
>> power (backlighting is on).
>>

> Hm.  Looks like a bug to me.  The screen should turn off after the usual
> timeout, in my opinion.

How long is that, and is it configurable?  It was off when I pulled out
of my bag just now, so apparently it does shut off eventually (and when
I touched the screen the unlock keypad came back up, so the battery
isn't just dead :-)).

>> The only other useful option is to power down the device, which requires a
>> full boot to get it back (slow, I'm told it uses a lot of power).
>>
>> Is there  a preference somewhere I've messed with causing this?  Or that I
>> could mess with to make this go away?  I want some way to set the device
>> into low-power-consumption mode quickly, easily, and securely, and then
>> bring it back quickly, easily, and securely when I need it (entering a
>> lock code is acceptably easy).
>>

> I normally use "Lock touch screen and keys", but perhaps that's not
> secure enough for you.

Yeah, it's not.  The configurations for this have all my email passwords
and such in them, and there may be ssh-agent with important keys active,
and such.  Leading possibly not only to my own servers, but to servers
belonging to clients or such.  Also my credit card numbers and the
account pins and all that.  So I try for fairly good security.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info