Re: Lock, sleep, power-down

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 08:34:02PM -0500, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 09:47:19AM -0500, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> >> When I hit the power button and select "lock device", I get an unlock
> >> dialog on the screen.  And it *stays* on the screen, overnight, in my bag,
> >> wherever, until I unlock the device.  That's unexpected behavior; it uses
> >> power (backlighting is on).
> >
> > Hm.  Looks like a bug to me.  The screen should turn off after the usual
> > timeout, in my opinion.
>
> How long is that, and is it configurable?

3 minutes IIRC and yes.  Control panel -> Display -> Switch off display.

> It was off when I pulled out
> of my bag just now, so apparently it does shut off eventually (and when
> I touched the screen the unlock keypad came back up, so the battery
> isn't just dead :-)).

The device is very good at seamless power savings, but it's possible to
install buggy applications that aren't smart enough to sleep when they
should and drain the battery faster.

> > I normally use "Lock touch screen and keys", but perhaps that's not
> > secure enough for you.
>
> Yeah, it's not.  The configurations for this have all my email passwords
> and such in them, and there may be ssh-agent with important keys active,
> and such.  Leading possibly not only to my own servers, but to servers
> belonging to clients or such.  Also my credit card numbers and the
> account pins and all that.  So I try for fairly good security.

pwsafe is good for credit card numbers & pins -- it always requires a
password after about a minute of inactivity.

Your point is very valid for email passwords and ssh keys.  Hm...

Marius Gedminas
--
H.323 has much in common with other ITU-T standards - it features a complex
binary wire protocol, a nightmarish implementation, and a bulk that can be used