Re: Hacker Edition (was Re: Is OS2006 still supported?)

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 7:52 AM, Kevin T. Neely
<ktneely@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Although the exact nature of the tablets is certainly up for debate, it looks like Adobe has done a pretty decent job of excluding the tablets.
>
>  Licensee may not distribute, download or embed the Software on any non-PC
>  device or with any embedded or device version of any operating system. For the
>  avoidance of doubt, and by example only, Licensee may not distribute the
>  Software for use on any (A) mobile devices, set top boxes (STB), handhelds,
>  phones, web pads, tablets and Tablet PCs (that are not running Windows XP or
>  Windows Vista Tablet PC Edition),
>

>  Going (very briefly, and using w3m to do so) through their licensing information, it looks like they take an inclusive approach to the platforms.  If it is not explcitly included, then it is not covered by the license.  The above exclusions appear to be examples for mobile products that are not included.
>
>  That licensing will certainly cause some inconsistency with licensing as convergent devices are released.  The thinkpad tablet running full ubuntu comes to mind.  I am sure you can download and run the linux flash player, but you may unwittingly be in violation of the license.
>
>  Another funny quirk of licensing is Apple's recent "only for devices with an Apple logo" specification.  Can you slap a sticker on the device and say it is logo'd?  Probably not, but a strict reading of the license language might support that.
>
>  In any case, this certainly demonstrates we cannot simply "blame Nokia" as some people seem to want to do.
<snip>

On the contrary, this is a perfect example of *exactly* why only Nokia
can reasonably deal with this kind of issue. An individual
hacker/developer isn't going to get anywhere with Adobe, but Nokia
could certainly solve the problem. They did it for the N8x0, so it
shouldn't be an issue to get that extended to the 770.

Mark