Hacker Edition (was Re: Is OS2006 still supported?)

ext Frantisek Dufka wrote:
> Quim Gil wrote:
>> Frantisek Dufka wrote:
>>> BTW is the first 2008HE also the last one?
>>
>> Undecided. Is it worth investing more time on this?  If so, is it worth
>> investing it keeping the current way or finding a way for the community
>> to take over?
>
> Current way is not ideal from the beginning. Each hacker edition so far
> was done without any public progress or discussion. So far the community
> role was mostly asking about progress with no answer, waiting, and later
> reporting bugs in garage tracker after some release appeared.

I agree the setting was not ideal but it was the best we could get in
order to deliver a HE in practical terms. The result of the exercise is
all in all acceptable, according to the feedback received.

My personal opinion (and I insist in the "personal" bit) is that a
requisite to continue any Hacker Edition model is to have the community
hackers not only involved but driving.

What does this mean in practice? We have discussed in several threads.
Time to agree on things and document in a more structured manner? May
sounds like a good month to draw the lines of a potential common plan.
Please drive. We at Nokia will help knowing more about the stones in the
way and the possibilities to remove them.

Nobody knows where the process will lead, but the process itself looks
already interesting enough.

Quim