Re: Is OS2006 still supported?

ext Luca Olivetti wrote:
> En/na Quim Gil ha escrit:

>>> working wireless lan, battery charging, screen dimming and watchdog
>>> pinging would be a good start.
>> Do you mean that the community can't do a thing unless this
>> functionality is covered by open source packages instead of binaries?
>
> The community sure can do many things, but cannot do some *core* things,
> like replacing the kernel with a newer one (once the binary blobs stops
> working since the vendor lost interest in providing it), or replacing
> some nokia applets to control those things.

Alright. Do you think that application developers and regular users of
those devices would be stuck if they are stuck to the same kernel and
related components - or progress can be done anyway?

Dunno, there is something a bit tricky here. In the surface of the
discussion it looks like everything gets stuck because A, B, C are
binary blobs the community can't handle. A possibility is though that
there is not enough community push in the areas where a difference can
be made even with the same kernel and binaries.

Most users and even developers care about the applications. Couldn't the
 official OS2006 or one of the HE handle more and better applications
just as it is?

>> Do you mean that Nokia 770 owners can't work on progress themselves
>> until these components are opensourced?
>
> or the hardware is documented

Here we need to distinguish between code and documentation that Nokia
could disclose and what belongs actually to third parties. The game gets
more complicated.

Quim