Re: [lists] Re: Is OS2006 still supported?

On Friday 18 April 2008 13:23:13 Quim Gil wrote:
> ext Luca Olivetti wrote:
> > The community sure can do many things, but cannot do some *core* things,
> > like replacing the kernel with a newer one (once the binary blobs stops
> > working since the vendor lost interest in providing it), or replacing
> > some nokia applets to control those things.
>
> Alright. Do you think that application developers and regular users of
> those devices would be stuck if they are stuck to the same kernel and
> related components - or progress can be done anyway?

One of the big problems with the older releases is that they are using old
versions of some key libraries (glib is the biggest issue for me but there
are others such as libxml).  Increasingly I find that the latest versions of
applications assume a more up to date environment and take considerable
effort to back-port.

That is one reason why I have stopped doing mistral builds (although I have
not removed the packages from the repository) and will probably soon stop
doing gregale builds.

Now, these libraries probably do not require a new kernel.  But replacing them
with newer versions may have impact on system components, including non-free
components.  At a minimum there will be considerable testing required.

Graham