Re: RFC: nct6776f support in the w83627ehf and fan RPMsignal de-bounce

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 06:17:55PM -0500, Robert Kaiser wrote:
> Guenter Roeck schrieb:
> > this is what I configured for my board (Intel DH57JG). Some of it is guessing,
> > some of it is common practice with Winbond/Nuvoton chips.
>
> I'll look into applying your settings and see how well they work, but
> I'll first get the BIOS reading tomorrow as Ian suggested.
>

> > Regarding the temperature sensor labels - those are straight from the chip manual.
>
> OK, so I have those:
>
> SYSTIN:                +40.0°C  (high =  +0.0°C, hyst =  +0.0°C)  ALARM
>   sensor = diode
>
> I guess this means "System temperature", whatever that means in practice
> as to where the sensor sits (I've never fully understood that one, even
> on older systems where it often was called "MB temp" or so).
>
> CPUTIN:                +39.5°C  (high = +80.0°C, hyst = +75.0°C)  sensor
> = diode
>
> That one is probably "CPU temperature" from a CPU sensor in the style as
> it's existed for ages, even before the cores had their own additional
> sensors.

That really depends on the board, but, yes, pretty likely.

> SMBUSMASTER 1:         +55.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, hyst = +75.0°C)  sensor
> = diode
>
> Hmm, that seems to be an "SMBUS MASTER", wherever that one really sits
> in practice (fun that it's hotter than the other two).
>
> PCH_CHIP_CPU_MAX_TEMP: +65.0°C
>
> Is that some allowed max temp of the CPU (i.e. where it shuts down) or
> the highest seen temp of the CPU?
>
> SMBUSMASTER 2:          +0.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, hyst = +75.0°C)
>
> Not sure what that is, given that it seems to be zero (and I'm sure
> nothing in my system is at freezing temperature, even if we had that
> outside a few times in the last week).
>
> > PCH_MCH_TEMP
> > PCH_DIMM0_TEMP
> > PCH_DIMM1_TEMP
> > PCH_DIMM2_TEMP
> > PCH_DIMM3_TEMP
>
> Now those would sound cool, but I guess it's not reporting them.

Agreed. But you might be able to see the DIMM temperatures (if you have DDR3)
by loading the "jc42" module.

Actually, I just had a look at the code again. Turns out there is a bug; you see
the labels associated with NCT6776F, not NCT6775F. Real values should be "PECI Agent 0"
instead of "SMBUSMASTER 1", "PECI Agent 1" instead of "SMBUSMASTER 2",
and "PCH_CHIP_TEMP" instead of "PCH_CHIP_CPU_MAX_TEMP". I'll fix that immediately.
So the temperatures you see as "SMBUSxxx" are really temperatures reported by the CPU.
Just don't ask me why the CPU would report 0 degrees C ;).

Thanks,
Guenter