Re: RFC: nct6776f support in the w83627ehf and fan RPM signal de-bounce

On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 09:59:21AM -0500, Robert Kaiser wrote:
> Guenter Roeck schrieb:
> > This is a Sandy Bridge board, isn't it ?
>
> Yes, it is.
>
> > Maybe you can try a kernel from the -next tree; that might solve your problem.
> > That means you would have to download, compile and install the kernel, though.
>
> Hrm, exactly what I want to avoid, updating openSUSE Factory quite often
> already is experimental enough for me on a production machine, but I'm
> using Kernel:HEAD there, which is currently some recent 2.6.38-rc and I
> should be 2.6.39-rc once the merge window has closed.
>
> Still, do you know something I don't on my error that you suggest that?
> Chris Wilson on intel-gfx was somewhat clueless as to why this happens...

All I know is that there is a sequence of patches in linux-next adding several
PCI IDs plus related code to the kernel which seem to be related to Sandy Bridge.
Look for PCI IDs with "DH89XXCC". I am kind of vague here; I was told that the added
PCI IDs match those of Sandy Bridge, but I have not seen the specification myself
so I don't really know for sure.

Do those changes address your problem ? No idea, but it might be worth a try.

> > To test a standalone driver, all you have to do is to download it, then run "make"
> > followed by "sudo make install". You don't have to build the entire kernel.
>
> That sounds good.
> Can I download your standalone driver in a git clone or similar way?
> Pulling the files one by one over http doesn't sound ideal to me. :)

The driver is in the hwmon-staging branch of
	http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/groeck/staging.git

But you'll still need the Makefile from the standalone driver.
	http://www.roeck-us.net/linux/drivers/w83627ehf/Makefile

The only other files you would need are
	http://www.roeck-us.net/linux/drivers/w83627ehf/lm75.h
	http://www.roeck-us.net/linux/drivers/w83627ehf/w83627ehf.c

Just downloading those with wget seems to be more straightforward than creating a git clone.

Thanks,
Guenter