RFC: nct6776f support in the w83627ehf and fan RPM signal de-bounce

Hello All,

Firstly I'd like to thank Guenter for all his work adding support for the nct6776f superIO chip.

During my testing of the driver on a Asus p8p67 pro motherboard and a Arctic cooling fan I've come across a small problem that the RPM reading is sometimes incorrect, usually the incorrect reading is almost double the expected value and is only incorrect for 2 seconds (Next actual read from the chip). Looking at the tacho signal from the fan with an oscilloscope I can see short pulses/dropouts which cause the incorrect reading. Looking through the data sheet I see that the nct6776f and nct6775f both support de-bouncing the fan rpm signal (logical device b address 0xf0 bit 1-5 for nct6776f or 1-4 for nct6775f). After enabling the rpm de-bounce for the CPU fan I've not seen any more miss readings. I tested for 24hours and usually I see a incorrect reading within 10-30 minutes.

The first question is, should we offer the possibility to enable rpm de-bounce for chips that support it? If yes then what interface should we use? I can see 3 possibilities:- 1) Through sysfs fanX_debounce (0/1). I already have a patch for this and the diff is about 60 lines of code 2) Through a module parameter (fan_debounce=X) where X could be 0/1 for disable/enable for all fans or a decimal value which is the bit pattern for the de-bounce to enable.
3) Always enable the fan de-bounce if the chip supports it.

Note enabling de-bounce does not appear to have any negative effects.

Regards
Ian Dobson