Re: pwmconfig can only control fan speed at beginning and fancontrol won't work

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 08:57:18 -0800, Allen Edwards wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 8:35 AM, Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > You forgot to install flex and bison, and our build system isn't
> > exactly user-friendly. After you do, run "make clean" then "make" again.
> >
> > That being said... pwmconfig is a shell script, it doesn't need to be
> > built.
>
> Actually, I did install both of these programs as the documentation is
> pretty clear on that.
>
> dad@myth_desktop:~/lm_sensors-3.1.1$ bison --version
> bison (GNU Bison) 2.3
> Written by Robert Corbett and Richard Stallman.

> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
>
> dad@myth_desktop:~/lm_sensors-3.1.1$ flex  --version
> flex 2.5.34

Did you run "make clean" before running "make" again after installing
flex and bison? This is required.

If you did and it did not help, please provide a full build log and
I'll look at it.

With your help all is working and the fan noise cannot be heard from across the room.  The "make clean" did the trick.  Thanks so much for your help.

I have a small follow-up question.  I searched for a long time looking for how to start fancontrol automatically.  All I found was a rather elaborate script here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=42737 but it looked old (2005) and the paths didn't look correct so I didn't use it.

I put a line in my rc.local file "/usr/local/sbin/fancontrol" and all seems well.

Is this acceptable?

Allen