pwmconfig can only control fan speed at beginning and fancontrol won't work

I searched back several months of your archives and can't find anything relevant to my problem.  When I run pwmconfig it finds my fans and controls the speeds. I can run a characterization of fan speeds vs settings and find that 180 is a good speed noise wise.  It is definitely controlling the fan speed.  But when it gets to the part about finding the min and max stall speeds, it will not control the fan speed, the fan just stays at full speed.  And, of course, fancontrol will not work.  This seems very strange to me.  The fan is 3 wire and I have tried it in both a 3 and 4 wire controllable header.

I would appreciate help on this.

Allen