Re: host to host usb transfer

> This sentence makes no sense, because that is impossible, because
> hosts and a devices are so very different. I recommend reading
> chapter 5 and/or chapter 8 of the USB 2.0 spec at
> http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/usb_20_101111.zip
> to learn more about the differences. Those two chapters give a
> great overview.

Well, it is true that I probably don't understand a lot of things. In
fact I just started and I'm nearly out of my depth.

> I think you misunderstand. I am saying that if you want to use USB
> for administration then you should make sure that your embedded Linux
> system is a USB device. That is not possible on the raspberry pi
> because the USB port which might work in device mode is hardwired to
> a USB-ethernet chip, instead of a connector. So there is no way to
> connect to that port. I'm sure that the rpi can use USB devices just
> fine, I am talking about having the board *be* a USB device.

Ah yes, I got it now.

> I think you need to look for hardware that fits your requirements. If
> you want to use USB for configuration (which has advantages) then
> make sure that your hardawre can *be* a USB device. In Linux this is
> implemented using the so-called gadget subsystem, which provides an
> API for your application doing the actual configuration. On the other
> side of the USB cable you could then use libusb.

I have seen this usb-gadget subsystem before but I have never used
this. It looks like it could server the purpose, surely my tablet is
visible as an device, and it has Linux inside after all, but it is
also complex, and it will not be easy. I would like to make it work,
it would be really clean solution to my problem, however at this
moment it's probably to much for me.

> My favorites at the moment are the ultra-low-cost Carambola
> (8devices.com) and Aria G25 (acmesystems.it) modules. The Aria G25
> has a huge patch stack on top of 2.6.39, but maybe most of that is
> upstream already. You'll need to make a PCB to use either of them.

making PCB its definitely too much for me ;)

Anyway solution for now would be, to use usb to ethernet device, make
it plug-and-play on Linux side with fixed IP address and maybe
host-to-host routing, and write all configuration soft with tcp/ip.
Maybe it's not perfect, but with my experience and spare time it is
doable and complete solution for now.

Thanks everyone for the discussion.
Marek