Re: host to host usb transfer

2012/10/29, Peter Stuge <peter@xxxxxxxx>:
> Marek Floriańczyk wrote:
> That is the approach of providing no administrative tool at all. I
> don't think anyone suggested that this is what you should do.

this is actually what I intend to do, disallow anyone to log into the
system, and provide any configuration methods from external
application.

> Why limit yourself to USB, when your piece of hardware is not
> actually a USB device? (You could of course work on *making* the
> rpi into a USB device, if using libusb in the host application
> is very important for you.)

Well I thought about USB because of two reasons:
1. I need Ethernet port on that Linux box to be used by my server and
it needs to be configured accordingly to home network. It would be
troublesome to use that.
2. USB is available on most of the computers, and usually more than one.

> You are wrong. USB makes a quite significant distinction between host
> and device. It is simply not possible to talk to a host as if you
> were talking to a device.

I know that it does, but this usb bridge cable has some chip, from
what I understand it presents host as an usb device.

> While a TCP/IP based administrative tool is one good and very common
> approach, USB does make enumeration easier for simple applications.
> I understand the appeal, but again, don't limit yourself. For
> configuring an embedded device I would either choose TCP/IP (most
> likely over SSH) or indeed USB, but if USB then I would make very
> sure that the embedded Linux device *is* a USB device.
>
> http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=8089&p=97007
>
> Explains that even if the software part would work, the rpi USB port
> is actually permanently wired to an ethernet chip. You lose.

This I didn't know. It is important.
So far I was using small computers based on Vortex86 chipset, they are
a bit more expensive that raspberry but I had no problems handling usb
devices. Maybe I will have to stay with it, or I can try OLINUXINO or
ODROID-X, it seems there are plenty of them. And all I need is good
configuration tool based on USB connection ;)

best regards
Marek