Re: host to host usb transfer

2012/10/29, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2012, Marek Floriańczyk wrote:
>
>> Yes, thank you.
>> There is a little misunderstanding. I want to connect two applications on
>> two
>> computers, rather than two computers itself.
>
> How can you connect two applications without setting up a connection
> between the two computers they are running on?

Hi

OK, little explanation. I have made a software that runs on Linux and
collects data from other devices by radio frequency. This software is
small, so I run this on computers like raspberry. I intend to sell my
software along with hardware to regular customers or actually to
integrators who needs to perform some configuration of this software
prior to installing it in end user houses. Many of these integrators
are not experienced with Linux. If I say to them log into something
like raspberry (without even a screen) prepare postgresql database
dump, load database and so on...  then I'm already lost, no one will
do it.

What I came up with instead is that I prepare two applications. One
will be running on linux box constantly, and other will have gui and
can be run either on windows or on linux. In that gui application
technician will be able to load database dump, files, configurations
and send it to Linux box by usb cable. On the Linux box my app will
handle all configurations. In this approach technician does not need
to know anything about linux. Little Linux box that will be run at
homes with different tcp/ip settings does not need to be
preconfigured, because USB port will always work, just plug special
USB cable and If you have soft on your laptop you can configure
server.

Now, I have some experience with libusb and if this usb bridge cable
allows me to talk to other computer as If I was talking to a regular
usb device, then I don't see why this would not work. Or correct me if
I'm wrong.

best regards
Marek