Re: host to host usb transfer

Marek Floriańczyk wrote:
> If I say to them log into something like raspberry (without even a
> screen) prepare postgresql database dump, load database and so on...
> then I'm already lost, no one will do it.

That is the approach of providing no administrative tool at all. I
don't think anyone suggested that this is what you should do.

> What I came up with instead is that I prepare two applications. One
> will be running on linux box constantly, and other will have gui and
> can be run either on windows or on linux. In that gui application
> technician will be able to load database dump, files, configurations
> and send it to Linux box by usb cable.

Why limit yourself to USB, when your piece of hardware is not
actually a USB device? (You could of course work on *making* the
rpi into a USB device, if using libusb in the host application
is very important for you.)

> Now, I have some experience with libusb and if this usb bridge cable
> allows me to talk to other computer as If I was talking to a regular
> usb device, then I don't see why this would not work. Or correct me if
> I'm wrong.

You are wrong. USB makes a quite significant distinction between host
and device. It is simply not possible to talk to a host as if you
were talking to a device.

While a TCP/IP based administrative tool is one good and very common
approach, USB does make enumeration easier for simple applications.
I understand the appeal, but again, don't limit yourself. For
configuring an embedded device I would either choose TCP/IP (most
likely over SSH) or indeed USB, but if USB then I would make very
sure that the embedded Linux device *is* a USB device.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=8089&p=97007

Explains that even if the software part would work, the rpi USB port
is actually permanently wired to an ethernet chip. You lose.

Look for an alternative platform which does what you want, instead
of trying to design complicated software layers to compensate for
what is essentially broken (for your purpose) hardware.

//Peter