Re: Now Fixed: Archlinux Speakup problems after alsa package upgrade

On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 09:15:07PM +0100, Didier Spaier wrote:
> On 28/12/2021 20:50, Janina Sajka wrote:
> > Didier Spaier writes:
> >> Hi Janina and all,

> >> espeakup is linked against the shared library installed at time of building it.
> >>
> >> Here:
> >> dance[~]$ ldd /usr/bin/espeakup | grep libespeak
> >> 	libespeak-ng.so.1 => /usr/lib64/libespeak-ng.so.1 (0x00007f290df83000)
> >>
> > Thanks, Didier. This does make sense.
> >
> >> My guess is you will find libespeak.so.1 instead running the same command.
> >>
> >> So you need to rebuild espeakup-0.90 after having removed espeak and installed
> >> espeak-ng only.
> >>
> > Are you saying I need to run ldd by hand? I thought the installation
> > process upgrading from 80 to 90 would take care of the ldd?
>
> ldd just gives an information about the dependencies. As its man page says:
>
> ldd  prints the shared objects (shared libraries) required by each program or
> shared object specified on the command line.
>
> During the installation process maybe the program in Arch that performs the
> installation checks the presence of the required dependency (probably not using
> ldd but rather according to the information recorded in some file by the packager).
>
> If so and if my assumption is correct:
> 1) When the packager built espeakup, espeak (not espeak-ng) was installed.
> 2) you can check this running the above ldd command
> 3) therefore espeakup can't use easpeak-ng, only easpeak.

espeakup 0.90 linked with espeak-ng in arch.

> > It's true I did not run an ldd when I tried to upgrade my older machine
> > to espeak-ng and espeakup-0.90.
>
> In any case you need to rebuild espeakup-0.90 against espeak-ng. How to do that

no need to do that.
Janina are you using pipewire on box with not working espeakup?
currently espeakup hasn't work with pw. I haven't found time to debug this yet.
sorry.

--
Sincerely, Alexander