Re: Now Fixed: Archlinux Speakup problems after alsa package upgrade

Hi Janina and all,

On 28/12/2021 17:26, Janina Sajka wrote:
> Very relevant observation, Jason.
> Indeed, that file I refer to seems to have been deleted by one upgrade
> or another over the past week--I've run several.
>
> So, not sure what's going on under the hood. All I can say is that
> creating that file, for whatever reason, caused Espeakup to work on the
> System76 Meerkat system.
>
> On my older, 2012 era custom built Linux board, Espeakup-0.80 is still
> required, but it now works with the latest alsa. No matter what I try,
> Espeakup-0.90 won't work, even though the espeak command speaks using
> espeak-ng. So, I downgraded to the latest Espeak, dated on Arch from mid
> December, and downgraded Espeakup accordingly.
>
> Apparently there must be some kind of reason why Espeakup can't be
> agnostic between espeak and espeak-ng?

espeakup is linked against the shared library installed at time of building it.

Here:
dance[~]$ ldd /usr/bin/espeakup | grep libespeak
	libespeak-ng.so.1 => /usr/lib64/libespeak-ng.so.1 (0x00007f290df83000)

My guess is you will find libespeak.so.1 instead running the same command.

So you need to rebuild espeakup-0.90 after having removed espeak and installed
espeak-ng only.

It could be possible to just make a symlink instead, but that would ugly. Better
just get read of espeak.

Cheers,
Didier