Re: Now Fixed: Archlinux Speakup problems after alsa package upgrade

Very relevant observation, Jason.
Indeed, that file I refer to seems to have been deleted by one upgrade
or another over the past week--I've run several.

So, not sure what's going on under the hood. All I can say is that
creating that file, for whatever reason, caused Espeakup to work on the
System76 Meerkat system.

On my older, 2012 era custom built Linux board, Espeakup-0.80 is still
required, but it now works with the latest alsa. No matter what I try,
Espeakup-0.90 won't work, even though the espeak command speaks using
espeak-ng. So, I downgraded to the latest Espeak, dated on Arch from mid
December, and downgraded Espeakup accordingly.

Apparently there must be some kind of reason why Espeakup can't be
agnostic between espeak and espeak-ng?

Best,

Janina

--