Archlinux Speakup problems after alsa package upgrade

I just upgraded my archlinux system and alsalibs, alsa-utils, and other alsa packages were upgraded.
The end result is that speakup would no longer speak properly.
I could tell that it was trying to speak but for example on a line that said systemd: I just heard the s Also when trying to read full lines of text, you just hear the hint of the first character then nothing.
I am using software speech.
I have 6 different systems here that all use archlinux and I get the same behavior on all of them. I downgraded the alsa-libs, alsa-utils, alsa-plugins, pulseaudio-alsa alsa-card-profiles, alsa-topology-conf, and alsa-ucm-conf packages, and now all my systems work. I have not had time to dig into this further, I am just letting people know so if you have archlinux, you might want to hold off on updating until this gets fixed. If you upgrade your archlinux system, and your alsa updates, it will make your system unusable with speech.

-- Kelly Prescott