Re: Onboard SD card doesn't work anymore after the 'mmc-v5.4-2' updates

On Mon, 2019-10-21 at 08:39 +0200, Christian Zigotzky wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> I think it isn’t good to use the kernel config option
> "CONFIG_NOT_COHERENT_CACHE" if the system is coherent, is it?
>
> We tested the kernel with "CONFIG_NOT_COHERENT_CACHE" yesterday but
> we didn’t find any differences to the coherent kernel.
>
> Could you please explain us the difference between the coherent and
> not coherent kernel?

So first, ideally, we should make this a runtime mechanism...
historical crap.

Fundamentally when you set CONFIG_NOT_COHERENT_CACHE you tell the
kernel that your processor isn't snooping the bus for DMA accesses
colliding with the caches. Thus SW has to explicitly maintain cache
coherency around DMA operations by invalidating or flushing the cache
accordingly and by keeping pool(s) of non-cachable memory around
to use for the consistent allocator.

This slows things down.

Cheers,
Ben.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Memonry Technology]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Media]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]