Re: ALPS touchpad ot correctly recognized: GlidePoint vs DualPoint

On Monday 11 September 2017 13:26:30 Juanito wrote:
> Hi Masaki Ota,
>
> Thanks!
>
> On 11.09.2017 04:38, Masaki Ota wrote:
> > Hi, Juanito,
> >
> > In my information, ALPS Touchpad is used on Thinkpad E series and L series.
> > I don't know the device that is ALPS Touchpad + other vendor TrackStick.
> > But Lenovo might use ALPS Touchpad on such a combination.
> >

> Well, that is probably my fault, as it is not the original touchpad that
> was delievered with the laptop. I bought the touchpad (that included
> the three buttons) separately because I didn't like the clickpad that
> came with my laptop.
>
> > And I have found that the V7 protocol device has a special ID for Lenovo.
> > ALPS assigns the value that is the model type to 0xC399 address.
> >
> > Could you check 0xC399 address value such like a below code?
> > reg_val = alps_command_mode_read_reg(psmouse, 0xC399);
> >
> > If the value is 0x1 or 0x2 or 0x6 or 0x10 or 0xF, it has a Stick buttons.
> >

> I will check this as soon as I can (I don't have access to the laptop
> right now).

Hi Juanito!

Now one friend told that he bought on ebay "usable touchpad" to replace
default one on Thinkpad T440 (that one without physical buttons).

One which he bought is ALPS V7 and it works fine on that T440. And also
trackpoint with buttons are working.

He told that first time he had connected & assembled it, trackpoint have
not worked. And it was because he forgot to connect something in
trackpoint. So he need to disassemble it again, check, connect and
assemble laptop back.

So now I have confirmed that replaced ALPS V7 is working fine at least
on some T440 laptops.

So if you wrote that buttons (above touchpad) are working, but
trackpoint not, maybe you have same problem? Forgot to properly connect
trackpoint? If it is really disconnected, then ALPS touchpad is not able
to detect it and therefore tell kernel that trackpoint is not available.

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@xxxxxxxxx