Re: ALPS touchpad ot correctly recognized: GlidePoint vs DualPoint

On Monday 05 February 2018 12:19:48 Juanito wrote:

> On 02/05/2018 08:48 AM, Juanito wrote:

> >> Look at function alps_passthrough_mode_v3(). And try to call it after
> >> touchpad is initialized.
> >>

> > Cool, I'll give this a try!
> >
> >> You can also look which alps_command_mode_write_reg() functions are
> >> called for your touchpad and maybe try to figure out what those the
> >> registers can enabled/disable.
> >>
> >> On http://www.cirque.com/gen4-dev-resources you can find document named
> >> GP-AN- 130823 INTERFACING TO GEN4 OVER I2C (PDF) which contains
> >> some description of those registers (in section 7).
> >>
> >> Register C2C8, bit 0 has description "PS2AuxControl.CommandPassThruEnabled"
> >>
> >> If trackstick is not detected, it seems you can "force" enable it by
> >> setting bit 7 "PS2AuxControl.AuxDevicePresent" in same register.

> >> Have you tried to read from that register which Masaki Ota talked in
> >> previous emails?
> >>

> > I tried but I just didn't manage to get it to work, at all and gave up
> > (I really am a newbie in this whole kernel world). Maybe a fresh start
> > helps here.
> >

> Oh, oh! Currently, my touchpad is just being recognized as a PS/2
> Generic Mouse.
>
> On both debian stretch kernel (4.9.0-5-amd64) and on a 4.15.0+ compiled
> by me.

Maybe bug in kernel driver? Can you install older kernel version and
find which worked?

> I'll try to see if I can find out why this is happening.

The best way is to enable debug output and look into dmesg log why
alps.c refused to register your touchpad.

> Do have any idea why this might be the case (it used to be recognized as
> ALPS)?

There were some bugs with ALPS touchpads and IIRC all of them (expect
one) should be fixed in git. So maybe you hit it.

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@xxxxxxxxx