Re: ALPS touchpad ot correctly recognized: GlidePoint vs DualPoint

On 02/04/2018 09:21 PM, Pali Rohár wrote:
> On Sunday 04 February 2018 20:39:06 Juanito wrote:

>>> Hi Juanito,
>>>

>> Hi Pali,
>>
>>> if you are still want to play with your touchpad hardware, I have a good
>>> news for your.
>>>

>> Yeah! I'd love to get it to work! It's just I've been "working" on some
>> other projects and my last kernel builds didn't work at all so I gave up
>> and never got back to it.
>>
>> Thank you very much for that!
>>
>>> It looks like that at least ALPS rushmore touchpads allow to receive RAW
>>> PS/2 packets from trackstick to host kernel, without modifying them by
>>> touchpad. Plus I was able to tell ALPS touchpad to start "mixing" those
>>> RAW trackstick PS/2 packets with native touchpad packets.
>>>
>>> On my configuration trackstick in RAW PS/2 mode by default talks with
>>> standard bare 3 byte PS/2 protocol and touchpad in 6 byte ALPS protocol.
>>> alps.c/psmouse.ko is already able to process and parse such mixed
>>> packets. And trackstick can be switched to some extended 4 byte
>>> protocol...
>>>
>>> All this happen when passthrough mode is enabled.
>>>
>>> From my understanding it seems that in normal mode, touchpad and
>>> trackstick communicate with that 4 byte protocol and touchpad converts
>>> it into 6 byte ALPS protocol and then send to kernel.
>>>
>>> On thinkpads trackstick communicate with TPPS/2 protcol and above 4
>>> byte. So in my opinion ALPS touchpad by default cannot understand it.
>>> But you should be able to enter passthrough mode and then you would
>>> receive that TPPS/2 in alps kernel code.
>>>

>> I don't really understand what you mean. Do I "just" have to set it to
>> passthrough mode? How exactly can I do that?
>
> Look at function alps_passthrough_mode_v3(). And try to call it after
> touchpad is initialized.

Cool, I'll give this a try!

> You can also look which alps_command_mode_write_reg() functions are
> called for your touchpad and maybe try to figure out what those the
> registers can enabled/disable.
>
> On http://www.cirque.com/gen4-dev-resources you can find document named
> GP-AN- 130823 INTERFACING TO GEN4 OVER I2C (PDF) which contains
> some description of those registers (in section 7).
>
> Register C2C8, bit 0 has description "PS2AuxControl.CommandPassThruEnabled"
>
> If trackstick is not detected, it seems you can "force" enable it by
> setting bit 7 "PS2AuxControl.AuxDevicePresent" in same register.
>
>> Again, thank you very much!
>
> Have you tried to read from that register which Masaki Ota talked in
> previous emails?

I tried but I just didn't manage to get it to work, at all and gave up
(I really am a newbie in this whole kernel world). Maybe a fresh start
helps here.

Cheers,
Juanito