Re: ALPS touchpad ot correctly recognized: GlidePoint vs DualPoint

On Saturday 09 September 2017 10:12:42 Juanito wrote:
> Hello,

> >> Sorry, I forgot to mention this. The ThinkPad came with a clickpad
> >> I **really** disliked, so I bought this on the Internet.
> >
> > So, here is a problem. ThinkPads works with Synaptic touchpads, not
> > with ALPS.
>
> There definitely seems to be a problem here :)
>
> Do you mean that the alps code might not be detecting the trackpoint
> because probably the red thingie works with synaptics?
>
> So could this be the situation:
> ALPS driver: Hey touchpad! Do you have a trackstick?
> ALPS touchpad: No, I don't.
> AD: Ok! (and thinks 'I am going to have to ignore all trackstick
> packets that might arrive')
>
> So the driver understands that there can't possibly be any buttons
> because there is no trackstick?

IIRC ALPS touchpad hardware itself does not work with non-ALPS
trackpoint.

Masaki, any comments?

> >> If by trackstick you mean the red thingie, it is **not** working.
> >
> > Ok. And it is working with your patch?
>
> No, it isn't :(

I expected... You just created franken-hardware.

Looks like with your hack patch it is possible to make buttons working,
but I suspect that trackstick would.

Maybe Masaki can provide more information about this fact if we can do
anything.

Dmitry, what you as maintainer going to do with this problem?

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@xxxxxxxxx