Re: ALPS touchpad ot correctly recognized: GlidePoint vs DualPoint

On Sat, Sep 09, 2017 at 10:36:06AM +0200, Pali Rohár wrote:
> On Saturday 09 September 2017 10:12:42 Juanito wrote:
> > Hello,

> > > So, here is a problem. ThinkPads works with Synaptic touchpads, not
> > > with ALPS.
> >
> > There definitely seems to be a problem here :)
> >
> > Do you mean that the alps code might not be detecting the trackpoint
> > because probably the red thingie works with synaptics?
> >
> > So could this be the situation:
> > ALPS driver: Hey touchpad! Do you have a trackstick?
> > ALPS touchpad: No, I don't.
> > AD: Ok! (and thinks 'I am going to have to ignore all trackstick
> > packets that might arrive')
> >
> > So the driver understands that there can't possibly be any buttons
> > because there is no trackstick?
>
> IIRC ALPS touchpad hardware itself does not work with non-ALPS
> trackpoint.
>
> Masaki, any comments?

> > > Ok. And it is working with your patch?
> >
> > No, it isn't :(
>
> I expected... You just created franken-hardware.
>
> Looks like with your hack patch it is possible to make buttons working,
> but I suspect that trackstick would.
>
> Maybe Masaki can provide more information about this fact if we can do
> anything.
>
> Dmitry, what you as maintainer going to do with this problem?

It really depends on Ota-san response. If ALPS needs a special version
of firmware flashed for proper trackstick identification, then I guess
Juanito will have to carry a local patch. I do not think we want to
complicate the driver any further for supporting such after-market
modification.

Does booting with psmouse.proto=imps makes trackstick work?

Thanks.

--
Dmitry