Re: ALPS touchpad ot correctly recognized: GlidePoint vs DualPoint

On 07/24/2018 06:54 PM, Pali Rohár wrote:
> On Monday 11 September 2017 13:26:30 Juanito wrote:
>> Hi Masaki Ota,
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> On 11.09.2017 04:38, Masaki Ota wrote:
>>> Hi, Juanito,
>>>
>>> In my information, ALPS Touchpad is used on Thinkpad E series and L series.
>>> I don't know the device that is ALPS Touchpad + other vendor TrackStick.
>>> But Lenovo might use ALPS Touchpad on such a combination.
>>>

>> Well, that is probably my fault, as it is not the original touchpad that
>> was delievered with the laptop. I bought the touchpad (that included
>> the three buttons) separately because I didn't like the clickpad that
>> came with my laptop.
>>
>>> And I have found that the V7 protocol device has a special ID for Lenovo.
>>> ALPS assigns the value that is the model type to 0xC399 address.
>>>
>>> Could you check 0xC399 address value such like a below code?
>>> reg_val = alps_command_mode_read_reg(psmouse, 0xC399);
>>>
>>> If the value is 0x1 or 0x2 or 0x6 or 0x10 or 0xF, it has a Stick buttons.
>>>

>> I will check this as soon as I can (I don't have access to the laptop
>> right now).
>
> Hi Juanito!

Hi Pali,

Thank you very much for this!

> Now one friend told that he bought on ebay "usable touchpad" to replace
> default one on Thinkpad T440 (that one without physical buttons).
>
> One which he bought is ALPS V7 and it works fine on that T440. And also
> trackpoint with buttons are working.
>
> He told that first time he had connected & assembled it, trackpoint have
> not worked. And it was because he forgot to connect something in
> trackpoint. So he need to disassemble it again, check, connect and
> assemble laptop back.
>
> So now I have confirmed that replaced ALPS V7 is working fine at least
> on some T440 laptops.
>
> So if you wrote that buttons (above touchpad) are working, but
> trackpoint not, maybe you have same problem? Forgot to properly connect
> trackpoint? If it is really disconnected, then ALPS touchpad is not able
> to detect it and therefore tell kernel that trackpoint is not available.

What actually bothers me is that the buttons above the touchpad *don't*
work. With Ubuntu 14.04 (I think), they definitely worked. *And* I could
scroll with two fingers too. It also did work with the crappy patch I
sent, although I haven't managed to correctly compile the kernel since
then. I am not sure if the trackpoint ever worked because I never really
cared for it.

I will re-open the laptop at some point and see if there is a flying
cable somewhere.

Again, thank you very much for taking the time to point this out.

Cheers,
Juanito