Re: Kip, USA, kernel 2.6.32-22-generic

Kip,

``Hey Antonio. Thanks for your help. I am a little wary of installing
 software outside the package manager's control of the FHS. Does the
 project have an apt repository?''

Do not worry about this.  The packages at
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/

can be trusted.  Most modem drivers are there because they cannot be
hosted by distributions*.  The linmodems project does not have an apt
repository, however, Marv and other users are kind enough to post deb
files that should work in Ubuntu/Debian based distributions.

``Ok. The only issue there is that I don't have an ISP for dialup, only
 broadband. I'd just want to use it for sending faxes, if possible?''

You would need to get an ISP for this to send faxes only?  unless you
can find a way to send them another way? that does not require the use
of modem?

Hope this helps,

Antonio

*except those that don't mind posting non-free software