Re: Kip, USA, kernel 2.6.32-22-generic

On Wed, 2010-05-12 at 19:00 -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Kip,
>
> You would need to download SLMODEMD from
>
> http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/SLMODEMD_gcc4.4_alsa1.0.21.tar.gz
>
> as the one that comes with Ubuntu *might not work* as you saw here:
>
> ``
> $ sudo slmodemd -c CANADA --alsa hw:0,6
>  error: alsa setup: cannot open playback device 'hw:0,6': Device or
>  resource busy
>  error: cannot setup device `hw:0,6'
> ''

Hey Antonio. Thanks for your help. I am a little wary of installing
software outside the package manager's control of the FHS. Does the
project have an apt repository?

> $ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
>
> and then edit the file ($ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf )
> remove the ";" and add your username, phone number and ISP phone
> number and a line "Carrier Check = no", save the file then try to
> connect to your ISP
> $ sudo wvdial

Ok. The only issue there is that I don't have an ISP for dialup, only
broadband. I'd just want to use it for sending faxes, if possible?
Nevertheless, it's nice to know that userland can actually have a
conversation with it now rather than just sitting there on the
motherboard collecting dust.

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred