Re: Kip, USA, kernel 2.6.32-22-generic

Kip,

according to scanModem, your modem is supported in principle through
SLMODEMD.gcc.4.?-alsa-1.0.?.tar.gz

Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 00:1b.0:
	Modem chipset  detected on
NAME="Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I "
CLASS=0403
PCIDEV=8086:293e
SUBSYS=1558:0860
IRQ=22
HDA2=00:1b.0
SOFT=8086:293e.HDA
HDAchipVendorID=1057
CHIP=0x10573055
IDENT=slmodemd
SLMODEMD_DEVICE=hw:0,6
Driver=snd-hda-intel

 For candidate modem in:  00:1b.0
   0403 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I
      Primary device ID:  8086:293e
    Subsystem PCI_id  1558:0860
    Softmodem codec or chipset from diagnostics: 0x10573055
                               from    Archives:
                        The HDA card softmodem chip is 0x10573055

Support type needed or chipset:	slmodemd supporting the snd-hda-intel
audio+modem driver

 An ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) modem driver:  snd-hda-intel
 provides Low Level support enabling contact with the modem hardware.
 For all BUT Conexant chip soft modems (using hsfmodem software)
 complementary High Level support is through a Smartlink utility:  slmodemd

 Download from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
 the package SLMODEMD_gcc4.4_alsa1.0.21.tar.gz having a compiled
slmodemd. Unpack under Linux with:
 	$ tar zxf SLMODEMD_gcc4.4_alsa1.0.21.tar.gz
 and read instructions therein. But briefly, the modem is setup with command:
 	sudo slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa hw:0,6
 reporting dynamic creation of ports:
	/dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   , with N some number
 Read DOCs/Smartlink.txt and Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt for follow
through guidance.

in your case, YOUR_COUNTRY=CANADA

Since you are using 64 bit architecture in your machine,

CPU=x86_64,  Ubuntu ,  ALSA_version=1.0.21
Linux version 2.6.32-22-generic (buildd@yellow) (gcc version 4.4.3
(Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5) ) #33-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 28 13:28:05 UTC 2010
 scanModem update of:  2010_04_29
The modem symbolic link is /dev/modem -> ttySL0
The slmodemd set symbolic link is /dev/ttySL0 -> /dev/pts/3
Distrib_ID=Ubuntu
DistribCodeName=lucid
AptRepositoryStem=http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu

The dkms driver upgrade utilities are installed,

Some modem drivers can only be used in 32 bit modem on x86_64 systems,
while some others are competent on x86_64 Systems.  Cases are:
1) http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-seventh/msg03119.html
for the snd-hda-intel audio+modem driver. Also applicable to AC97
modem controllers.
In both cases, 32 bit libraries must be installed to support the
slmodemd helper having a precompiled 32 bit component.
2) For USB modems using the slusb.ko driver. 32 bit libraries must be
installed to support the slmodemd helper having a precompiled 32 bit
component
3) The hsfmodem and hcfpcimodem drivers for Conexant chipsest modes
are x86_64 competent.
4) agrsm packages for LSI/AgereSystems softmodems are not competent on
x86_64 systems.

#2 is the closest to your case, 32 bit libraries must be installed to
have a shot at working, but getting to work is a bit difficult a task
in itself, just ask Joe.  check the archives to see a related thread.

Regards,

Antonio