Re: Kip, USA, kernel 2.6.32-22-generic

Kip,

You would need to download SLMODEMD from

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/SLMODEMD_gcc4.4_alsa1.0.21.tar.gz

as the one that comes with Ubuntu *might not work* as you saw here:

``
$ sudo slmodemd -c CANADA --alsa hw:0,6
 error: alsa setup: cannot open playback device 'hw:0,6': Device or
 resource busy
 error: cannot setup device `hw:0,6'
''

I you download the above package and follow the instructions provided,
it should replace the one that comes with Ubuntu and then you try the
same command and it should work (provided some 32 bit libraries are
there like prob.  libasound32 bit or others, but I can't find a
message that illustrates these), and if it works

you leave it running and fireup another terminal and run

$ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

and then edit the file ($ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf )
remove the ";" and add your username, phone number and ISP phone
number and a line "Carrier Check = no", save the file then try to
connect to your ISP
$ sudo wvdial

Report back to see if it works, if that is the case, share your report
with Joe so he may attempt something similar.

Regards,

Antonio