Re: Joe Philbrook, USA Xubuntu Karmic 2.6.31-21-generic

It would appear that on May 8, Marvin Stodolsky did say:

> Joe,
>
> The ALSA upgrade was only for your specific kernel.
> So if an upgrade replaces your current kernel+modules, your ALSA
> upgrade will be lost.
> Also when a newer kernel+module is installed, your ALSA upgrade
> procedure would have to be applied to it.
>
> The DKMS upgrade system only affects drivers for which a DKMS enabled
> source package has been installed.

That's what I was afraid of... <sigh!>

Personally I doubt that particular upgrade would solve the problem
anyway. But if such a solution would have been persistent it might have
been worth the effort to try one more long shot before I give up on
the built in winmodem. But as it is, the dial-up isn't something I'd be
using often enough to notice when it stopped working. It's the back-up
method that would only be needed once in a blue moon. And in the event
that it is suddenly needed, there won't be time to muck about re-fixing it.
For my purposes the solution needs to be the set it up and forget about
it kind that would still be working when I eventually had reason to
remember a dial-up solution existed...

So it's starting to look to me like I'll have to wait till I solve my
zero cashflow problem and can afford to try an external modem. Then it
should be just a matter of making sure it isn't another winmodem...

But even so I'd like to thank both Antonio & Marvin for a lotta kind
hearted help and hand holding. I learned a few things in the process
so even though it doesn't look like my modem problem is going to be
solved by slmodemd, the experience was worth while.

Thanks anyway guys. I really do appreciate all the kind advice.