Re: ScanModem report - Bill Lowther, USA, kernal 2.6.28-15-generic CORRECTION

Bill,

"Is this part of the problem?"

I probably did not correctly follow the discussion with you because I still do not know what "the problem" is.

What I can swear is that the error message which you report (see below) has nothing to do neither with the hardware of the modem nor with its software (driver).

FAXes are sent as TIFF files. GhostScript knows how to make a TIFF file out of a PostScript file.

Linux (Unix) commands come with a manual to use them.

The word manual starts with man. To help you use   efax  , type     man efax

You will find the following in the help text

Ghostscript’s tiffg3 driver can generate fax files in TIFF-G3 format
      from postscript files.  For example, the command:
gs -q -sDEVICE=tiffg3 -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=letter.%03d letter.ps </dev/null will convert the Postscript file letter.ps into high-resolution (vr=1) G3 fax image files letter.001, letter.002, ...

The error which you see is produced by that command. You did not type it, but the way you operated efax generated this command, while the file which you try to send is not a PostScript file, as the error message says:

"Not valid postscript file".

What should you do then to send your FAX: well, the universal advice READ THE MANUAL FIRST also applies for FAXing.

If you cannot find how to send your FAX by reading man efax , then please send me the test file which you are trying to send and the complete efax command which you typed to try to send but obtained the error message

instead.

Jacques

A4Skyhawk wrote:

Marvin:
     I have downloaded efax and efax-gtk.  When I send a fax w/ efax, I get
the following --
GPL Ghostscript 8.64: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
Not valid postscript file

     Is this part of the problem?

TIA,
Bill Lowther

Marvin Stodolsky wrote:
RE: if the specific Agere 620 driver supports FAXing
-----------------------------
From
http://www.lsi.com/networking_home/networking_products/modem_chip_sets/pc_modems/sv92pp/index.html?locale=EN&remote=1
V.92 soft modem chip set solution is for the PCI applications. The LSI
SV92PP chip set is a two-chip solution consisting of an LSI SV92PP PCI
interface and a CSP1040 silicon DAA. It supports V.92/V.90/V.34 data
and FAX rates up to 14.4 kbits/s. The SV92PP is an interface device
with the memory required for receiving, transmitting, and buffering
data sent between the host system (soft modem stack) and the DAA or
line codec.
My expectation is that this well also be true for Linux.

MarvS

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 4:22 PM, Jacques Goldberg