Re: Making future online meetings work (was:Re: Assessment criteria for decision on in-person/virtual IETF 108)

> On 20 Apr 2020, at 09:52, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi.  I agree with Kathleen (and one or two others so far) and would
>> like to try to fork this discussion a bit.
>
> Thank you for this.
> I think that manycouches would be a better place for this discussion.
>
>> to do that meeting (and/or 109) online if we need to and what
>> properties are important?  While I think IETF 107 worked well given the
>> short notice and circumstances, I don't think it should automatically
>> set the pattern for what we do with non-f2f meetings in the future (for
>> me, reading through the survey results reinforces that view).  I
>> suggest it actually should not do that.
>
> Q1) will we have a way to run meetecho without a central control point by
>   IETF108?  If so, they we should use it.
>
>> (1) We do, or used to do, a good deal of technical level cross-protocol
>> and cross-area review and interaction.  At least IMO, a great deal of
>> that came from people wandering into f2f WG sessions, sometimes out of
>> curiosity, dragged by others, or for other reasons, on an "I'm here
>> anyway and not very busy, so let's see what is going on" basis.  I can
>
> I largely agree with you.
> I think that the "light" scheduling during the original week of IETF107 meant
> that BOFs got a lot more attendance from people who might have otherwise been
> conflicted.  This is something to be repeated.
> I don't think that optimization to enable participation from the far-east
> (China, Australia, NZ) worked that well.
> It just wound up being "late" for Europeans.
> We need to think about this again.

As someone living in Sydney, it worked fine (we where +11:00 at the time).
For those closer to UTC it would have worked less well (China, India etc.)

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: marka@xxxxxxx