Re: Making future online meetings work (was:Re: Assessment criteria for decision on in-person/virtual IETF 108)

On 20/04/2020, at 11:53 AM, Michael Richardson <mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 20/04/2020 00:14, John C Klensin wrote:
One of the other things that was apparently decided quickly and
quietly before IETF 107 was the switch from Meetecho to WebEx for the
plenary, BOFs and WG-type sessions.

I think I heard that the meetecho kit was in transit, so webex was not
"decided" upon in preference to meetecho, it was a force majure kind of
thing.

AFAIK, that turned out to be false.
Yes, the in-room kit was in transit, and we put up some servers on site to
make it work, but that was hardly the only servers we had/used.
We did not have complete information.

To expand on this - the reasons Webex was used in preference to Meetecho for IETF 107 are:

- The normal kit that Meetecho runs on was in Vancouver and so not usable.  That meant building a new infrastructure along with bandwidth, monitoring etc, or moving it to the cloud in very short order.  The NOC team put considerable work into preparing for that.

- It was not clear if Meetecho could run on in fully online mode and on cloud infrastructure and support the number of participants that might join a fully virtual meeting.  It turns out that it can operate fully online and Meetecho put considerable work in to ensure that it could run on cloud infrastructure and at the required scale.

- Altogether it was felt that we had too little time to put everything together without considerable risk.

If IETF 108 is to be online only then we should have sufficient time to plan for the use of Meetecho.

Jay

--
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        |    IoT architect   [

--
Jay Daley
IETF Executive Director