Re: [Last-Call] NomCom eligibility & IETF 107

On 10 Apr 2020, at 15:48, Abdussalam Baryun wrote:

That is acceptable, and I think is very good for us to go forward. Don't you think that any participant should not push for that input by many posts of against? it is not fair for discussion progress, some people get tired by that, and I think I will as well. There are people that had discussed the issue from March and they think it is solved, but as IETF LC we need to give chance to others to input within this pandemic. Also saying : *there is no much time* or *there may be no consensus which is big problem* or *we need a conclusion by AD now*, IMHO makes discussion go in direction to force consensus with no freedom.

This is a more philosophical discussion that we should take off list if it goes longer, but my short answer: It's always true in these sorts of discussions that some people go on too long and people get discouraged, and some people cut their comments short and people get discouraged. The balance is always difficult with a large group, and especially so in this kind of discussion when there is time pressure.

But I do not think there's a problem with the leaders of the discussion pushing the consensus along, either by saying, "I've heard this already; no need to get repetitive" or "We need to move towards consensus; please be direct and answer these questions". Of course it is possible to get too heavy handed, which we do not want, but we do not have infinite time and it is appropriate to push people to be concise and clear so that a decision can be made.

(I don't think it is helpful for others on the list to push like this; better to leave it to the chair or the AD or the shepherd who is driving the discussion.)

Finally,  I think there may be many that may want to send their comments privately to IESG and I think it should be acceptable and must be counted and respected in such pushing-environment.

As it says in all Last Call announcements, "Exceptionally, comments may be sent to iesg@xxxxxxxx instead." That is, we prefer the comments on the last-call list, but if you need to, you may always send to the IESG directly.

pr
--
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best