Re: [Last-Call] NomCom eligibility & IETF 107

[Moving over to last-call, where the discussion on this draft is taking place...]

On 4 Apr 2020, at 8:52, Abdussalam Baryun wrote:

It is clear in section 4.14 of RFC8713, it defines that last meetings as the last meeting and not the last f2f meetings.

I think this is the key part of your message. It is *not* clear that "meetings" refers to other than face-to-face meetings. At the time of the writing of this requirement, there was not such thing as a non-face-to-face meeting, and I don't think it is clear that the intention of those who worked on this document would have been to include virtual meetings in the qualifications. That is not to say that the text can't be read the way you are reading it; it's a reasonable interpretation. But it's not *clear* that yours is the only interpretation.

You seem to be OK with the proposal that 102 gets counted; you only seem to be objecting to not counting 107. So, when you say you "don't accept" the solution proposed in this document, can you explain more clearly why the attendance at 107 absolutely must be counted? Is it simply that you don't accept that 8713 intended only face-to-face meetings be counted for qualification, or that it's unfair to not count 107, or is it something else? You might still end up in the "rough" part of the "rough consensus", but if you've got an argument that convinces the rest of us, I'm sure it would considered.

Also remember that there is a separate discussion, over on eligibility-discuss@xxxxxxxx, about the broader effort to make remote attendance count toward NomCom eligibility. I think your comments and suggestions would be much more helpful over there. Barry's document is about a one-time stop-gap measure. The other effort is about updating 8713 to make it clear that remote participation (and perhaps some other criteria) should count toward NomCom eligibility.

Cheers,

pr
--
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best