Re: [Last-Call] NomCom eligibility & IETF 107

Hi AB,

On Sun, Apr 05, 2020 at 08:00:38PM +0200, Abdussalam Baryun wrote:
> [...]
> > include virtual meetings in the qualifications. That is not to say that
> > the text can't be read the way you are reading it; it's a reasonable
> > interpretation. But it's not *clear* that yours is the only
> > interpretation.
> >
> > You seem to be OK with the proposal that 102 gets counted; you only seem
> > to be objecting to not counting 107. So, when you say you "don't accept"
> > the solution proposed in this document, can you explain more clearly why
> > the attendance at 107 absolutely must be counted? Is it simply that you
> > don't accept that 8713 intended only face-to-face meetings be counted
> > for qualification, or that it's unfair to not count 107, or is it
> > something else? You might still end up in the "rough" part of the "rough
> > consensus", but if you've got an argument that convinces the rest of us,
> > I'm sure it would considered.
> >

> We don't forget that who wrote the RFC8713 also ment by meeting is the
> meeting that the IETF managers call it a meeting, so our IETF managers have
> already called for a meeting and they called it meeting 107, so do you say
> that 107 is not a meeting, if you say that, let us hear from our managers
> what do they call 107. When you go to any meeting in the past or in present
> or in future, usually you know who calls for the meeting, its the managers
> call for the meeting, and the members or participants follow and come for
> it and make effort. In our case, the IETF did call for the meeting and did
> decide to make it official so participants followed. Therefore, how can we
> exclude this meeting 107 and it is the real part of the last 5 meetings
> that managers called for them. Also we don't forget the effort that many
> participated in attending IETF107 meeting. The RFC8713 does not say to
> exclude just because non f2f, so I think my opinion is more close to
> RFC8713 than excluding a meeting without finding any text refers to f2f or
> any text refering to way of excluding meetings and replacing other.
>

> > Also remember that there is a separate discussion, over on
> > eligibility-discuss@xxxxxxxx, about the broader effort to make remote
> > attendance count toward NomCom eligibility. I think your comments and
> > suggestions would be much more helpful over there. Barry's document is
> > about a one-time stop-gap measure. The other effort is about updating
> > 8713 to make it clear that remote participation (and perhaps some other
> > criteria) should count toward NomCom eligibility.
> >

> I usually also commented/suggested that when a manager calls for last 5
> meetings and participants are absent in two meeting then by RFC8713 they
> are  eligible, so even if I add meeting 102, I should make sure that a
> participant must have only two absent of (103,104,105,106), I just will add
> 102 to give him chance to be eligible even if he/she did not attend 107
> because of the pandemic. So if participant is absent in 107 we don't count
> his absence but if he/she attended it is MUST be counted because it was

I'm confused about the use of "MUST" here.  It sounds like you are saying
that RFC 8713 requires it, but I think the whole premise of the document in
question is that it is updating and overriding RFC 8713 for the case of
IETF 107 and the 2020/2021 nomcomm.  That is, we are not bound by RFC 8713
since we can change any provisions that we need to -- we want to limit the
amount of the change to just what we need to have a clear picture for this
year's nomcom, but that is only out of a desire to make a minimal change
and not due to an obligation to remain faithful to the specific strictures
of RFC 8713.

> Usually absence affects meetings and are counted at no pandemics, but
> attendance are always counted in all meetings. People's time count, how can
> a document say that we exclude a meeting just because it was not f2f,
> however, the question is do you have authority to exclude a meeting while
> the managers of IETF already called for the meeting and the managers did
> not cancel the meeting???

The proposal is to publich a BCP document with IETF consensus, the same
strength of rules that produced RFC 8713.  Is that not enough authority?

-Ben