Re: Out for discussion: draft-leiba-ietf-iana-registrations

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 04:06:12PM -0400, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
> We have a long tradition of people in positions of leadership also
> participating as individuals.  Just because Joe thinks it doesn't work
> does not mean it is not true.  It has weaknesses.  We all know that.

I think I am reading Joe's message differently than you are.  (Either, or
both, of us could be wrong, of course.)

What I am hearing is that if Barry had instead said that he was authoring
this draft on behalf of the IESG, and maybe that it had some "IESG as
author" boilerplate akin to the "IAB as author" boilerplat that some
documents have, then he would be okay with the document going out for
community review, last call, etc.  But the claim that it is somehow "a
document by just Barry as an individual" is what's problematic, with Joe
telling us that it's impossible to separate Barry-as-author from
IESG-as-author in this case.

We can debate whether or not we believe that to be true, but hopefully we
can agree on what Joe is trying to say, at least.

-Ben