Re: tone policing

On 9/2/19 11:49 PM, Dan Harkins wrote:
Furthermore, your email
is a kind of "tone policing" that has been discussed here. You're stating that the speaker should watch how he says what he says because it could be misinterpreted.

This isn't about tone. It's explicitly about what was meant, not how it was said. "I hope you die" is the kind of so-over-the-line ad hominem that it gets used as an *example* of an ad hominem. I was hoping Lloyd could clarify that's not what he meant. His silence is concerning.

I mean, I get it. It wasn't meant literally, and it was included because Lloyd thought it sounded witty. But it's still an attack on the volunteers who attempt to keep this list usable. Not what they've done, and not the role they're serving, but their actual persons. And that's the exact kind of thing we had people lining up at the microphone in Montreal to say isn't okay any more.

/a