Re: tone policing

One of the things that I've noticed is that,
should one persist in a technical argument
and in holding a locally-unpopular view that is
actually difficult to disagree with on a technical
basis, conversation will eventually shift from the
technical merits of that argument to the tone of one's
viewpoint, and eventually to one's worth as a person.
Which makes it more difficult to keep expressing the
technical viewpoint in the group, which is rather
the point of the shaming exercise.

This is group dynamics and human nature, basically.
It's not what you say, it's not whether it's right,
it's whether saying it is politically inconvenient
to the group.

The individual isn't the issue; the group is.
And tone police are a part of that group process.

L.

if we're rotating sergeant-at-arms, I'm all for them
spinning in their graves.

Lloyd Wood lloyd.wood@xxxxxxxxxxx http://about.me/lloydwood