Re: tone policing

On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 6:26 PM Melinda Shore <melinda.shore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
But I'm trying to understand the broader context here, as well.  What
we're asking for is no more stringent than what's expected in the
typical workplace, conferences, other technical bodies, and so on.
In many cases, it's less.  Do you feel that the typical workplace,
conferences like RailsConf, and technical communities like Mozilla's are
unsafe for honest technical discussion?

It might help to be more straightforward about the fact that "rough consensus and running code" can often mean that the opinions of some people count more than others, on a given issue. For example, I don't expect any of these RFC Editor function arguments will matter much to me, so I don't think my opinion should count for much, unless I find a bug of some sort. This is not a bad thing, in my opinion. It prevents vote stuffing, obstructionism, spam, and many other kinds of bad behavior.

On the other hand, this approach does dictate a more hands-off approach when there are competing solutions. I think the IETF has gotten worse at allowing these situations to play out.

thanks,
Rob