Re: tone policing

On 9/2/19 9:12 PM, Adam Roach wrote:
On 9/2/19 10:50 PM, lloyd.wood@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
if we're rotating sergeant-at-arms, I'm all for them
spinning in their graves.

Can you clarify what you mean by this comment? It's easy to misread as you wishing death to the current sergeants at arms, and I can't imagine that's what you meant.

  At the risk of being accused of calling someone unreasonable let me say that I don't think any reasonable person would take that comment that way. Furthermore, your email is a kind of "tone policing" that has been discussed here. You're stating that the speaker should watch how he says what he says because it could be misinterpreted. This
could have a chilling effect.

  I emitt4ed an audible laugh when I read that, the literal L-O-L. It really doesn't happen very often so I appreciate it when it does. And I think it would be a bad thing if this sort of dry humor was avoided in order to avoid the possibility of causing offense or causing harm or being toxic or being harsh or any of the other vague tripwires that
people have tried to lay out.

  regards,

  Dan.