Re: Should IETF stop using GitHub?

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 8:07 PM Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 8/2/19 11:00 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:

> I unless you have some better suggestion, I would say that this is a pointless discussion.

I'd like to see the git WG's charter amended to (a) not specifically
favor github, and (b) require the WG to identify and evaluate risks
associated with various VCSs (both self-hosted and externally-hosted).

I would not be in favor of either of these changes.

As Chris says, the purpose of the GIT WG is to build best practices that help WGs who want to use Github for their work. If you want to form a WG that is neutral and tasked with comparing the risks of various VCSes, you're free to submit a BOF proposal, etc. However, having that work in the GIT WG would, IMO get in the way of what the intended purpose of that group.

-Ekr

Keith