Re: Should IETF stop using GitHub?

On Wed, 2019-07-31 at 11:04 -0500, Nico Williams wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 03:15:26PM +0200, Ladislav Lhotka wrote:
> > On Wed, 2019-07-31 at 08:29 -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> > > Git is a distributed system.  As such, the same git repository can
> > > be made available on multiple git servers.  For example:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Are all mirrors of each other.  So even if/when github.com were to cut
> > > off access to some country, people still have access from the other
> > > two git repos.
> >
> > For the git part, yes. What's more problematic are extra things that are not
> > replicated, e.g. issues.
>
> It's easy enough to host issues within a normal Git repo.  In fact,
> there are tools out there for doing just that[0].  Typically an issue's

Of course, but in my experience it is not how IETF WGs use GitHub. As a matter
of fact, draft-ietf-git-using-github-00 describes the use of GitHub's issues.

> "number" then becomes a commit hash, an abbreviated commit hash, since
> there's no easy way to generate sequential issue numbers in Git, but I
> think that's quite fine.  Really, each issue can be its own ref, and you
> can have one periodically-rebuilt ref to list all known issues so they
> are easy to find.
>
> One can even run such a Git-based issues system even while using GH/GL/
> whatever, and one could even have a bi-di issues sync with the GH issues
> so as to still be able to use the GH BUI while being able to access
> issues via Git alone and w/o reference to the GH APIs or BUIs.
>
> Wikis too can be hosted inside Git, as can web pages.  Indeed, GitHub
> does that for both.  Oddly they chose to use the same repo for the web
> pages (on a branch named gh-pages) but a different repo (with related
> URI) for the wiki.  Odd choices, but the point remains.
>
> All of a WG's work can be hosted in a Git repo in a way that is
> independent of the enhanced-Git GitHubs/GitLabs/Bitbuckets/... of the
> world.  All we need is Git.  And since some of these tools exist
> already, we may not even need to invest much in IETF-specific tooling.

Personally, I would be absolutely fine with such a simple solution. But then, I
am also happy with editing xml2rfc XML directly in emacs. :-)

Lada

--
Ladislav Lhotka
Head, CZ.NIC Labs