Re: Should IETF stop using GitHub?

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 11:04:08AM -0500, Nico Williams wrote:
> [0] E.g., https://github.com/dspinellis/git-issue -- note the "related
>     work" links at the bottom.

Also (in no particular order):

 - https://docs.gitea.io/en-us/
 - http://www.bugseverywhere.org/
 - https://gogs.io/
 - http://gitblit.com/

I'm sure there's many more, and plenty of them open source.

Fully hosting all the things we need within Git repos seems entirely
plausible.  Even the Data-Tracker, I-D repository, RFCs, the RFC-Editor
queue, and IANA registries could all be managed along these lines :)
I'm not proposing quite that.

As to the Subject:, I don't think the IETF needs to get away from GH.  My
related point is that GH/GL/etc cannot really lock us in either, so
they're all ok.  My biggest concern is about ensuring that IETF-run
mailing lists and their archives are properly hooked up to any GH/GL/etc
Git repos so that notifications of pushes, PRs, issues, and anything
else get recorded in an IETF-hosted service.

I would also advise that whatever Git-hosting service a WG or
participants choose to use, the IETF should mirror them.  It's not a
huge step from running our own mirrors to running our own hosting,
naturally, but that's not the intention -- the intention is to ensure
archival and access (but not necessarily convenience) via IETF-hosted
resources.

Nico